Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Day of surgery

I was so thankful my surgery wasn't until 11am. Although I was still up by 7 to take my medication it could of been a lot earlier! We got to the hospital at 9. I believe they took me back to pre op around 10:30am. Within the next hour I met way too many people. Too many of the same questions! Which they apologize for, but of course they have to hear you say it. After the second one I was ready to just write it down and hand it out to each person that came in. Save time, you know? I was never really nervous. The part I did not enjoy though, was getting the IV in. They did it on the side of my wrist, because I was scared of her doing it in my hand.
By 11:15-11:30 we were ready to go. I remember being wheeled back to the operating room, then shifted from the stretcher to the operating table via hovermat. They put the mask over my face and I was out within seconds.
I remember bits and pieces post op. I woke up at one point and begged for my mom. I was in pain I believe and just wanted my mom. She came for a little bit, but I dozed off again. I remember my dad coming back to see me. My mom had told me later on that it was quite a while after she had come back. I dozed in and out the rest of the day. I finally woke up for good around 2 am. Thank God I had a private room! I turned the tv on and just hung out. The nurse came in and explained everything that I was hooked up to. Morphine drip for pain and a catheter. Which by the way, is quite awesome! Not having to get up and go pee! Good times. Haha!
The next couple days and nights in the hospital were filled with unwelcomed doctors and nurses and techs taking my blood and blood pressure. They don't care what time it is, they just waltz right in and wake you up. I get that I'm not going anywhere but can't a girl get some dog gone sleep! By the last day, I was in tears. They had switched me over to morphine pills and I had to ask three people to get me some meds. It took a whole hour and my mom to get something. When the nurse came in she had the audacity to say "you finally need something?" really!!! Yes I need some damn pain pills before I break down crying again from the pain! Let's just say I've had much better experiences in the hospital and I was glad to finally go home, to my own bed, and quiet!

No comments:

Post a Comment