Wednesday, May 23, 2012

time for the gym

Gym has never been a friend of mine. Our relationship has come and gone many times over. We usually only last a few sessions or a few weeks at the most. However i hope and pray this time will be different. I hit the gym for the first time last night after work. I went through the day with full intentions of staying for at least an hour. I only made it 30 min. haha. Luckily we have a gym here at my work so i have no excuse to go home, sit down and talk myself out of going back to the gym. I had already done my almost normal 2/15 min walks on my breaks and was so proud of myself for even going to the gym on top of that!
So i get down to the gym and decide to start on the elliptical, it has always been one of my favorite machines, i like the idea that i'm running but not really. I had gone to a support group meeting on Saturday at the hospitals transition studio for bariatric patients. We did some exercises, got to know the machines and learn what they do there. I had noticed that they have their patients rotate the weights and cardio. Do 3 machines then 5 min of cardio. So i decided that might be a good way to start. Break up the cardio and the strength training. So i did 5 min on the elliptical then got down, cleaned the machine and went over to the machines of steel. I've done this sort of stuff before, so i felt fairly confident in what i was doing. Boy was i wrong! These machines were like midevil! They had the weirdest set up and took me 5 min just to figure out how to change the weight setting on the first machine! I almost gave up, but i finally figured it out and did my reps. Did a couple more machines that were just as weird. Then i went on to the recumbent bike. Again an old machine, but i was determined to figure it out. That took me a few minutes as well. I feel i went for about 5 min on that, although i had a heck of a time finding the timer on the display so ended up just working through 2 songs on my ipod. Went back to the weights and finished up with 5 more minutes on the elliptical. I felt pretty darn good and satisfied with myself.
Well when i got home i had some pain in my right side, same place i had for about 10 days after surgery. I just relaxed, finally went to bed and read. Still woke up with the pain this morning. So i took some tylenol. Ya, that didn't help. I talked to one of my bariatric friends and we believe i lifted too much too soon. I never went over 30lbs, and i didn't feel like i was straining myself, but i must of pulled or pushed a little too much. So note to self, don't push yourself only 4 weeks after surgery, especially with weights! Do less weight and more reps. Lesson learned!
On a great note! I weighed myself this morning and the scale finally budged! I went down only .6lbs but i was just so happy to see it get off that number after 2 weeks! So i'm hoping the gym workout jolted my body to start losing again!

No comments:

Post a Comment